Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Below are some answers to common questions. If the question you are looking for is not addressed here, please let us know.

Which languages are used to communicate at the French School?

Except in foreign language classes (English, German, Spanish, and Mandarin) and in the IB program, all classes are conducted entirely in French. The students and teachers communicate with each other in French. The students communicate with each other in either French or English.

Are all students French?
The French School of Sydney is made up of students from more than 27 different nationalities. 
Approximately 60% of the students are French or French-Australian, 30% are Australian and 10% are of other nationalities. The French School welcomes students from many French speaking countries such as Canada, Switzerland, Belgium, Morocco, Tunisia and Lebanon...

Does my child have to eat at the canteen?

Canteen is mandatory for Petite Section students.
The canteen provides very reasonably priced hot lunches which are composed of three courses. If your child does not wish to eat at the canteen (except petite section), they can bring their own lunch.
Only the students in Year 10, 11 and 12 are allowed to eat outside the school during meal breaks.

If I move overseas, which school will my child be able to attend?
Students of LCS can enrol, without taking any entrance examination, at all the schools that are in France or members of the AEFE network. They will carry on their schooling in the same class level, following the same curriculum.

What are the school hours?
9:00am to 3:25pm for maternelle and primary classes.
8:00am to 3:30pm, 4:30pm or 5:30pm for junior and senior classes.
School Care is available from 8am to 9am for the maternelle and primary pupils.
After school care is available for petite section and moyenne section students from 3.30pm until 5.45pm.
After School Care is available for primary students (from GS to Year 5)  from 3:30pm to 6pm with YMCA.

What time is the school bus?
For information regarding the school bus timetable, please click here. 

What happens if my child has a health problem?
There is a nurse present at school every day from 8.00 am to 4.00 pm. In addition, our staff has had first aid training. It is imperative that you provide us with all the necessary medical information regarding your child, in particular his/her allergies, and with all the phone numbers on which you can be reached, at the time of enrolment. Also please do not forget to notify us any change concerning your contact details or your child's health condition. 

How is the school year organised?
Our school runs a northern hemisphere timetable with some small adjustments taking into account the Australian calendar. Thus, the school year begins mid-August and finishes at the end of June, and includes a mi-year break in January during the Southern hemisphere's summer. The school year comprises a total 36 weeks of classes. You'll find the school 2018-2019 calendar here.

Does the school accept applications for mid-year entry?
Students coming from the French educational system can be accepted in the same class level. For all other situations, the decision will be made on a case by case basis.

Does the school organise excursions?
Teachers organise varied excursions within the scope of their pedagogical projects, whether it is to illustrate their courses, introduce students to different areas of Sydney or Australia, or to give them the opportunity to attend shows or visit exhibitions.

How are the students evaluated?
In maternelle, an evaluation booklet is given to parents every semester. 
In the Primary school, the teachers provide parents with a booklet of the children's results every trimester.
In the Secondary school, a report is given to parents every 12 weeks, after the class council.
The Diplôme National du Brevet (French equivalent of the School Certificate) is held for all students at the end of Year 9, and the French Baccalaureate is held for all students of Terminale. In the International section, the International Baccalaureate is held at the end of the two years of IB studies (Year 11 IB and Year 12 IB).

What qualifications do the teachers hold?
Most of the teachers hold French qualifications from the French Education system.
The other teachers hold Australian teaching qualifications. The teachers regularly attend training courses and workshops to further their education.

What if my child has difficulty in class?
In the Primary school, the teachers organise remedial help during class time for their students.
In the Secondary school, optional supervised homework sessions are organised.

Do I have to pay for textbooks?
In Primary school, notebooks and textbooks are provided free of charge by the school. 
In Secondary school, textbooks are also lent to the students in exchange of a refundable deposit.

Do the students receive religious education?
The French School is secular, and therefore no religious education is provided. However, the students study the history of religions in History and Geography classes.

Which languages are taught at the school?
English, German, Spanish and Mandarin (optional).  An initiation for Latin is organised for Year 7.  This course is optional afterwards.

Why is there a waiting list for the maternelle?
The Australian regulations are very strict regarding the size of the classes and, unfortunately, we cannot accept all applications.
We give priority to siblings of children who are already enrolled at the school. You may put your name down on the waiting list.
The school will let you know if a place is available. The rules concerning the number of mandatory supervisors become more flexible in Kindy; we will not have any difficulty accepting more children at this level.

Can my child study at the French School on a holiday visa?

When students arrive in Australia on a holiday visa, the maximum length of time which can be spent in an educational institution is 12 weeks. 
The French School is not able to provide information on Australian visas.
Please refer to the Australian Embassy in your country for more detailed information on this subject.